Donate to curlew action
Eurasian curlews are hurtling towards extinction in the UK. We must seize this moment to save them whilst we still have curlews left.
Why do we need funds?
We need your help to fund crucial work protecting and monitoring breeding curlews, as well as managing campaigns to get the public engaged in curlew conservation and the natural history around us. This multifaceted approach is necessary to create an environment in which wildlife can survive and thrive, so that our children’s children can hear the curlew’s musical voice ring out across the countryside of the future.
To find out more about our charity and the birds we are trying to protect, take a look at our pages about Curlew Action and about curlews. When you are ready, click below to visit our donation page.
Curlew Action is a small, highly effective charity with very low costs. Your donation will be received gratefully and spent carefully. Here are some examples of how your money could be spent:
- £25 could allow fieldworkers to install temperature logging equipment in a curlew nest, so we can better protect its inhabitants and contribute data to crucial research projects
- £50 could get two pairs of binoculars for school children in our Junior Curlew Network, allowing them to monitor their local curlews, and helping to develop their passion for conservation
- £150 could pay for a nest camera for fieldworkers doing essential research
- £200 could fund the production of a podcast, bringing you the wisdom of experts and artists in the curlew world
- £250 could help us set up equipment to protect a curlew nest from ground predators
- £750 could allow us to produce a high-quality short film making conservation stories and science come alive, connecting new audiences to curlews on social media
- £1000 could enable us to put on a training workshop for a large group of volunteers and fieldworkers, so that curlews have the best care possible to protect them from predators and other dangers
- And £75,000+ could allow us to fund a PhD study into the causes of curlew predation, ultimately helping to turn the tide against their continuing decline towards extinction in the UK!
Not ready to donate just now?
Want to protect curlews, but can't give money right now? No problem! There are loads more great things you can do for your local curlews, which you can find further down this page.
Leave a legacy to curlew action
Curlews are some of Britain’s most graceful and awe-inspiring birds. But they are also quickly becoming endangered. We need your help to change that. If you would like to do something amazing for the curlew, you can remember Curlew Action in your will.
You can make a lasting difference
You don’t need to be wealthy or to give any more than you can afford in order to make a big difference to the lives of curlews, so you can still make sure your loved ones come first when writing your will.
We deeply appreciate your consideration of leaving us a gift. By deciding to do so, you will be creating a lasting legacy which will continue having an impact long after you are gone.
Our promise to you
We understand the trust you are putting in us by including us in your will. In return, we promise to:
- Use your money carefully and responsibly. We keep our running costs minimal so we can focus our spending on science-led conservation and outreach.
- Respect your wishes. If you feel that you would like your gift to be spent in a certain way, or if you would like to change your mind at any time, we will ensure your wishes are respected.
- Protect your information. If you decide to remember us in your will, our commitment to data protection will ensure your information is safe and fully in your control.
- Safeguard your legacy. Make sure that the generations you leave behind can grow up watching curlews, and hearing their bubbling calls across the wild places of the UK.
Corporate Partnerships with Curlew Action
These days, businesses are looking for ways to reflect the values of their staff and stakeholders in their actions. We are on a complex and important journey towards saving the curlew from population decline, as well as communicating the importance of conservation and curlews to the public. If you think your business shares our goals, there are various ways in which you can partner with us.
How you can help Curlew Action
- Matched funding. Agree to match (e.g. £1 for each £1 raised) the funds raised by our team in a specific event or appeal.
- Sponsor an event. Provide financial support to allow us to put on an event or complete a project (perhaps one local to your business).
- Involve your staff in a fundraiser. Get staff members to do something fun or challenging, and raise money for Curlew Action - this could be a running challenge, bake sale, a quiz, raffle, or even a curlew-shaped walk!
- Make a simple financial donation, or donate a percentage of profits. If you have a product or event which you feel reflects Curlew Action in some way, you may want to donate some of the profits to the charity.
- Support us via your company charitable trust.
What Curlew Action can offer your business
- Fulfil your corporate social responsibility. Businesses, just like individuals, can have strong values, and feel a responsibility to leave the world a better place than they found it; helping Curlew Action carry out its important work can help you achieve just that.
- Improve your ESG credentials. It is now widely accepted that businesses will benefit financially in the long term by engaging with environmental and social issues.
- Enhance your brand awareness and reputation. Partnering with a charity like Curlew Action can be a compelling PR opportunity, aligning your brand with meaningful conservation and outreach work and demonstrating your commitment to the natural world.
- Get staff involved with our work, or have an inspiring member of our team to speak at a corporate event.
WONDERING WHAT ELSE YOU CAN DO TO HELP?
Curlew numbers are declining all around the British Isles, and many of our wonderful supporters want to do more to help their local curlews. We offer some suggestions about the best ways to get involved besides donating to Curlew Action.
Keep dogs on the lead
During breeding season, it is essential that dogs are kept on the lead when anywhere that curlews may be nesting. This will minimise the danger that dogs may disturb nests, either destroying eggs themselves or making chicks more vulnerable to predation by nearby animals. If you live near a nesting site, we encourage you to put up signs and inform others to be careful with their dogs.
Look after your environment
One of the key problems facing curlews is the destruction of their habitats. As humans, we can choose to either continue causing this problem, or contribute to making it better by looking after our environment. We believe the answer is pretty clear!
Want to get your hands dirty?
Whilst you can't volunteer to carry out fieldwork directly through Curlew Action, we recommend seeing which groups are looking after the curlews in your area. The Curlew Recovery Partnership is a good resource for finding local curlew groups, or just ask us!
The more events we hold, the more we can convey our important message. Even a tiny local event could inspire one person to campaign for wildlife, and they could make all the difference!
Photo credit: Hugh Warwick
Fundraise for us
Curlew Action is a small charity with big goals: we want to prevent the curlew population crisis. And we can't do it without your support. Take a look at our resources below to get started!
Help spread the word
One of the most important parts of our mission is getting the public excited about curlews and conserving nature. Without this, our conservation efforts would be wasted. If you would like to get involved in our outreach work, consider joining our ambassador network or contact Ellen for more information.
Fundraise for Curlew Action
By getting involved in fundraising you can not only raise vital funds to make a real difference for curlew conservation, but also take part in fun and rewarding activities which can be done at work, at school, outdoors, or even on your sofa! If you would like to fundraise for us and would like some printed flyers, posters and Curlew Action donation boxes please get in touch!